Alright everyone! Here is my second tutorial based off of this edit. Bear with me, I try to do my best to explain things for you all so if you have any questions, please message me (off anon) and I’ll be glad to help you! Also keep in mind I am making this tutorial based on the assumption that you have basic photoshop skills and can hold your own. I also use PS5, so i don’t know how to handle anything different with any versions newer than mine.
1. Open up the picture you want to use. I recommend using a picture where the subject’s hair is prominent on both sides of their face.
2. You’ll need to remove the background of the picture. Instructions on how to do that can be found in the first few steps of this tutorial.
3. Once you’ve done that, resize the picture and move it onto a blank canvas as shown here:
Then, press down on the shift key and highlight the black and white layer along with the cut out as shown here:
5. Next, you’ll want to keep the layer highlighted and go to image > adjustments > levels. Here are my settings:
Press ‘OK’ when you’re done. This is what it should look like:
I usually smart sharpen the layer after this point. Do as you wish, though.
6. After you’ve done that, create a new layer on top of this one. You’ll want to keep the color of her hair black, or whatever color you want it to be. It has to match, or it’s gonna look a little silly ;) Then, use tree branch brushes which you can go and download off of deviantart (just search tree brushes and download them). I just begin to brush branches onto her hair randomly, and I also use them as erasers to give her hair that kind of fringed look at the bottom.
7. When you’ve done that and have a look you want, you’re done! This is my result (ignore the watermark):
Thanks for looking at this! :D